A- A A+

Where to Seek Help If You Suspect You Have LD

Adults with Learning Disabilities - Do I Have LDThere is only one way to know for certain if you have a learning disability: through a formal evaluation by a qualified professional who has been trained to identify learning disabilities. Such professionals may be clinical or educational psychologists, school psychologists, neuropsychologists or learning disabilities specialists. It is essential that the professional have training and direct experience working with and evaluating adults with learning disabilities.

This person should also have up-to-date information about current LD research and have a working knowledge of local, state and federal guidelines for providing help in different settings. This professional should be able to help you understand your needs relative to school, work and daily living. 

Find a Qualified Professional

  • NCLD's Resource Locator
  • NCLD's LD Navigator
  • Learning Disabilities Association
  • International Dyslexia Association
  • Adult education office of your local school system or community college
  • Adult literacy programs or literacy councils
  • Community mental health agencies
  • Counseling or study skills center at a local college or university
  • Educational therapists or learning specialists in private practice
  • Guidance counselors in high schools
  • Private schools or institutions specializing in learning disabilities
  • Special education departments and/or disability support services coordinator in colleges or universities
  • State Vocational Rehabilitation Services
  • Local hospital-based programs

After you make contact with any of the above, ask to be referred to a professional who has experience working with adults with learning disabilities. When you meet him or her, you'll want to ask questions for reassurance that you are working with the right person.

Tags: college-adult, struggling, doihaveld