How to Write a Cover Letter
Other tips to consider when writing your cover letter:
- Address your letter to a specific person whenever possible. If a name isn’t given in an employment ad, do some online research to find the answer or simply call the company and ask to whom you should address your letter. Use “Dear Sir or Madam” only if you have exhausted all other options.
- State what is enclosed (your resumé) and why you are enclosing it (to apply for a specific job or for any appropriate opening in the company).
- Briefly explain why you are well suited for the job. Match experience, skills and accomplishments from your resumé with the qualifications required for the position. The more closely these match, the better your chances will be of landing an interview.
- Include all pertinent contact information: your name, address, telephone number, email address, and professional website, if you have one. Do not provide information that is overly personal or could be construed as unprofessional, such as a blog, Facebook page, or Twitter feed.
- Follow directions. If you are responding to an advertisement or have been given specific instructions by the employer, be sure to follow the directions carefully. Tell what future action you’ll be taking (a follow-up phone call or email).
- Say thank you. Close with an expression of appreciation and a request for an interview: “I look forward to meeting with you to discuss my qualifications. Thank you for your consideration.”
Sample Cover Letters You’ll find abundant resources online and at the library about how to design your resumé and write your cover letter. Before you go searching, though, here are two sample cover letters to guide you, one from a student seeking a summer job, the other from a recent college graduate.
Take a look at the following example cover letters. The opener “Please consider me” is used in both of the examples. Another option is to begin the letter with “I am writing to apply for” followed by the name of the position and where you saw the position advertised.
Download our sample cover letters PDF.