Before making the big move you should work on mastering the skills you need to help you make the transition to independent living:
- Managing money — living on a budget, paying bills, keeping records of your finances
- Maintaining your own living space — finding suitable housing, cleaning, and doing regular household maintenance and upkeep (e.g., changing water and heating filters, cutting the lawn, disposing of trash and recycling)
- Taking care of personal needs — doing laundry, maintaining personal hygiene, refilling prescriptions and keeping regular medical and dental appointments
- Preparing food — sticking to a healthy diet, grocery shopping, cooking your own meals
- Caring for clothing — purchasing new clothing items, washing and drying clothes properly, doing needed repairs, storing clothes properly
Using transportation — knowing how to use public transportation (trains, buses), having a list of convenient taxi and car service providers, knowing travel costs and putting aside travel money (or making other credit or billing arrangements), and learning how to drive.