Chief of Staff to the Managing Director
Status: Full-time Employee
Reports to: Kevin Hager, Managing Director, Understood.org
The Chief of Staff helps the office of the Managing Director provide operational oversight of the Managing Director’s schedule and the organization, ensuring that major goals and objectives are constantly moving full steam ahead, via the application of program management principles. He/She will triage input from the Managing Director, provide oversight on the completion of time sensitive issues and initiatives and as appropriate, ensure that key projects move forward. The Chief of Staff acts as an essential support structure for Understood’s senior leadership team.
The Understood Chief of Staff has three major responsibilities: (1) plan and direct all administrative, financial, and operational activities for the managing director; (2) act as a proactive problem-solver and facilitator, using solid judgment and discretion at all times to oversee high priority projects under the Managing Director’s purview; (3) represent the Managing Director on a regular basis to others inside and on occasion outside the organization.
- Ensure that all the Managing Director’s schedule and initiatives are appropriately prioritized, resourced and on track, focusing on coordination of cross-functional work streams and management of key external events.
- Perform a variety of project management tasks that focus on tracking, and sometimes managing, key initiatives on behalf of the Managing Director;
- Establishing timelines and delegating assignments; coordinating project deliverables with other departments and consultants, evaluating and updating project status for reporting and decision making, recommending adjustments.
- Undertake special projects on behalf of the Managing Director, including but not limited to:
- the development of key presentations
- the evaluation of proposals
- the preparation of background reports on key topics.
- Perform a variety of key support tasks as needed which may include:
- responding to requests for information
- preparing internal communications
- researching topics and drafting summaries
Communications & Relationship Management
- Develops and maintains communications from the Managing Director to key influencers and partners.
- Works with Managing Director to develop regular communications to keep employees informed about the organization’s priorities, successes, and other developments.
Researches and summarize new partnerships or influencer opportunities and share with relevant teams.
- Oversees regular stakeholder communication in the form of memos on action items or maintaining agendas for standing check in meetings
- Manages selected writing and communications projects as directed by the Managing Director, including
o drafting, editing, reviewing, and proofreading reports and contracts
o editing presentations
- Maintains regular contact with staff within Understood, Poses Family Foundation and NCLD, including senior staff, with the purpose of propelling initiatives forward and aligning work.
- Maintains regular contact with key partners and influencers, ensuring projects are on track and partnerships remain strong.
• 5+ years of director level experience
• Impeccable managerial and interpersonal skills gained from practical management experience
• Proven track record of effectively interacting with senior management
• Ability to work strategically and collaboratively across departments
• Proactive self starter that is effective, versatile and action-priented
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong project management skills
• Ability to work effectively in highly collaborative, fast-paced environment
• Experience at either a digital property or a non-profit preferred
• Knowledge of learning and attention issues a plus but not required
The National Center for Learning Disabilities is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
For additional information on the organization, please visit their website at www.ncld.org.For additional information on learning and attention issues, including ADD/ADHD, dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, dyspraxia, executive functioning issues, nonverbal learning disabilities, processing issues and more, please visit www.understood.org.
Send applications to Samara Naeymi, email@example.com with the subject line “Understood Chief of Staff Application”.