State Policy Manager
Public Policy and Advocacy
National Center for Learning Disabilities
DC Office: 1220 L St. NW, Washington, DC 20005 (this position is located in DC)
Headquarters: 32 Laight Street, Second Floor, New York, NY 10013
Reports to: Vice President, Chief Policy and Advocacy Officer
The National Center for Learning Disabilities (NCLD) is a fast-paced, forward-thinking organization that is rapidly growing. NCLD’s mission is to improve the lives of the 1 in 5 children and adults nationwide with learning and attention issues—by empowering parents and young adults and advocating for equal rights and opportunities. We’re working to create a society in which every individual possesses the academic, social and emotional skills needed to succeed in school, at work and in life.
About NCLD’s Public Policy & Advocacy agenda:
Over the next three years, NCLD will generate policy and advocacy impact by:
- Developing and implementing national multi-year campaigns to advance important and systemic change that will benefit individuals with learning and attention issues;
- Educating and engaging policymakers at the national, state and local levels to embrace our agenda and regularly speak out in support of it;
- Leading knowledge-building initiatives to drive the policy debate and build consensus around best practices; and
- Developing and growing a comprehensive, proactive political engagement program to support parents who speak out and advocate for children and adults with learning and attention issues at national, state and local levels.
The State Policy Manager will be responsible for assisting in executing NCLD’s state strategy, and, where appropriate, supporting Understood’s mobilization efforts at the state level. The duties include the following:
Policy Development and Execution:
- Research, analyze, synthesize, and communicate complex policy issues clearly in writing and through oral presentations.
- Create fact sheets, research and practice briefs, policy summaries and other written products for NCLD and state advocates.
- Manage and host online meetings and in person trainings with state advocates about relevant policy issues.
- Implement NCLD’s Policy and Advocacy Agenda at the state level including strategic broad-based advocacy campaigns, aligned with NCLD’s state and local work.
- Monitor emerging initiatives and proposals at the state level that either relate to NCLD’s Policy and Advocacy Agenda or any hot button issues that may impact individuals with learning and attention issues, analyze and coordinate NCLD’s effective response with the Understood mobilization team to the extent appropriate.
- Work with NCLD’s Policy Research and Advocacy Associate, Personalized Learning Manager, Director of Mobilization and Director of Federal Relations, to ensure workflow and work product align with accomplishing the state objectives in NCLD’s Policy and Advocacy Agenda.
- Work collaboratively within NCLD and across all teams so NCLD’s strategic plan and work plans are developed and aligned to achieve maximum measurable impact.
- Establish and maintain relationships with key state advocacy staff at leading national organizations to advocate for NCLD’s policy agenda
- Respond to, manage and organize key state stakeholders on hot button issues related to NCLD’s strategic goals that arise and need immediate response at the state or national level
- Has a passion for advocating for children with learning and attention issues and disabilities
- Has exceptional writing and speaking abilities
- Understands the public school system and how students eligible for special education are served
- Has a track record of delivering results in a fast-paced, high-performing organization
- Possesses keen awareness of and ability to understand complex issues, including the political process and climate
- Is able to adapt and be flexible when the circumstances and agenda demand it
- Demonstrates ability to work well with others, oversee multiple processes, meet deadlines, work within budget and achieve strategic goals
- Positive attitude and commitment to teamwork
- 3+ years of experience as a policy analyst researching and writing (some special education or education policy preferred)
- Highly skilled at verbal and written communication, including conducting research, writing and editing policy briefs and other documents, and oral presentations.
- Experience working for a state legislature, and/or experience as a leader in education policy and government affairs, evidence of state level advocacy/grassroots experience
- Bachelor’s degree, with Master’s or law degree preferred
- Evidence of state level advocacy/grassroots experience
- Demonstrated excellence as a respectful and respected colleague in a team-based environment
- Experience working with external committees, workgroups, coalition-building
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience. This position in located in the Washington, DC office.
Please provide a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The National Center for Learning Disabilities is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
For additional information on the organization, please visit their website at www.ncld.org.
For additional information on learning and attention issues, including ADD/ADHD, dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, dyspraxia, executive functioning issues, nonverbal learning disabilities, processing issues and more, please visit www.understood.org.