National Center for Learning Disabilities
32 Laight Street, New York, NY 10013
Reports to: Managing Director, Understood.org
Status: Full-time employee
The National Center for Learning Disabilities (NCLD) is looking for a Director of Product for its Understood for Parents program, to manage the continued improvements to Understood’s platform. We aim to be the best for our parents and build best in class products, and need an experienced product manager. We are looking for a partner to help us accomplish this work, formalize our product process and build the team necessary. While we focus on parents now we anticipate expanding to young adults and educators in the near future.
We are looking for a strong, collaborative, highly empathetic leader who will help us to clear the path to confidence for the parents we serve. This position will oversee product ideation, discovery, execution and management and will be heavily involved with our search and analytics efforts.
The Director of Product improves the impact of Understood.org’s digital resource by identifying product improvements and new product opportunities; conducting research; generating product requirements; determining specifications, production timetables, pricing, and time-integrated plans for product introduction. Oversees onsite analytics, SEO and front-end design as well.
- Works with managing director and leadership team to define and drive the product strategy.
- Creates and manages the product roadmap for new, existing, and conceptualized products and product features; manage to on-time, in-scope, and on-budget product delivery.
- Translates product strategy into detailed requirements and prototypes.
- Ensures that the voice of our community is echoed throughout the product development process. This includes the consistent practice of incorporating user feedback into the development loop through various market testing and research projects as needed.
- Ensures that our accessibility remain a top priority and Understood remains “the most accessible site out there for people with learning and attention issues.”
- Determines research needed to further define customers’ needs and points of impact.
- Provides information for management by preparing short-term and long-term product forecasts and special reports and analyses.
- Brings new products to market by analyzing proposed product requirements and product development programs; preparing return-on-investment analyses; establishing time schedules with engineering and manufacturing.
- Introduces and markets new products by developing time-integrated plans with engineering, content, marketing, and partnership teams.
- Oversees analytics program, including two analysts and regular reporting to teams.
- Maintains product management staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees.
- Maintains product management staff job results by counseling and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in p
The Person: Required Experience and Qualifications, and Ideal Attributes
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- 3+ years of Consumer Product Management experience, with a proven track record of delivering new products and features which helped your company grow.
- A past role in a non-profit, software company, business strategy, and/or as a tech entrepreneur.
- A thorough familiarity with Agile software development methodologies.
- A strong desire to work hard, in a small fast growing company, doing whatever it takes to move the company forward.
Please send resumes to Stu Levenson.
Created in 2014 in collaboration with 15 nonprofit partners, Understood.org is a free online resource and community supporting parents of the 1 in 5 kids with learning and attention issues. Understood empowers millions of parents through personalized resources, daily access to experts, interactive tools and a supportive online and on-the-ground community. Winner of the 2015 Webby Award for Best Family/Parenting Site and the 2016 Cynopsis Award for Best Branded Digital Platform, Understood is available in English, Spanish and read-aloud mode. Understood is a program of the National Center for Learning Disabilities (NCLD).
The mission of NCLD is to improve the lives of the 1 in 5 children and adults nationwide with learning and attention issues—by empowering parents and young adults, transforming schools and advocating for equal rights and opportunities. We’re working to create a society in which every individual possesses the academic, social and emotional skills needed to succeed in school, at work and in life.
More about Understood.org: https://www.understood.org/
More about the National Center for Learning Disabilities: https://www.ncld.org/.