National Center for Learning Disabilities
32 Laight Street, New York, NY 10013
Reports to: Creative Manager, Understood.org
Team: Website Content
Status: Full-time employee
The Graphic Designer will serve on the Understood Creative team, servicing the needs of Content, Marketing and Mobilization. The Graphic Designer will work with the Creative Manager and design contractors to manage the busy team’s growing workload. The Graphic Designer will also be responsible for creating title cards and, in some cases, animations animations for Understood’s social media channels, and will work closely with the video editor to ensure all graphics on Understood videos are on brand.
- Fulfill graphic design requests from the Content team, including infographics, mock-ups, site elements and other matierals
- Fulfill graphic design requests from the Marketing team, incuding social media promos, email assets, and event matierals
- Fulfill graphic design requsts from the Mobilization team, including event flyers, signage, merchandise and content re-works for printing and distribution
- Work with Understood partners as needed to provide materials to ensure effectiveness of Understood’s partner campaigns
- Develop a suite of title animation treatments for Understood vidoes that enhance their effectiveness while still adhering to the brand guidelines
- Work with the video editor to create short, title-heavy, social-friendly clips with captions and animated graphics
- Become an expert in Understood’s brand guidelines and help the Creative Manager ensure all assets are in compliance
- Assist the Creative Manager in project managing design tasks and ensuring all external contract work is on schedule
- 4 years’ experience in graphic design, both digital and print
- Demonstrated experience in a variety of title animation approaches
- Experience in video editing and a familiarity with social media video best practices greatly preferred
- Organization and attention to detail a must
- Ability to take sometimes complex concepts and simplify them into easy-to-digest visual treatments
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple planned and unplanned projects; flexibility and resourcefulness
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, with individuals and cross-disciplinary teams, both internal and external to NCLD
- Positive attitude and commitment to teamwork are key
- Completion of Bachelor level program
- At least some Spanish language reading and writing skills a plus, but not required
- Working knowledge of industry trends in digital design and and video presentation a plus
- Knowledge of or experience in special education and/or learning disabilities field a plus, but not required
Please send resumes to email@example.com.
Created in 2014 in collaboration with 15 nonprofit partners, Understood.org is a free online resource and community supporting parents of the 1 in 5 kids with learning and attention issues. Understood empowers millions of parents through personalized resources, daily access to experts, interactive tools and a supportive online and on-the-ground community. Winner of the 2015 Webby Award for Best Family/Parenting Site and the 2016 Cynopsis Award for Best Branded Digital Platform, Understood is available in English, Spanish and read-aloud mode. Understood is a program of the National Center for Learning Disabilities (NCLD).
The mission of NCLD is to improve the lives of the 1 in 5 children and adults nationwide with learning and attention issues—by empowering parents and young adults, transforming schools and advocating for equal rights and opportunities. We’re working to create a society in which every individual possesses the academic, social and emotional skills needed to succeed in school, at work and in life.
More about Understood.org: https://www.understood.org/
More about the National Center for Learning Disabilities: https://www.ncld.org/.