National Center for Learning Disabilities
Headquarters: 32 Laight Street, Floor 2, New York, NY 10013
Reports to: Director of Content Strategy and Management
Team: Website Content
Status: Full-time (potentially contract)
The Mission and Vision
The National Center for Learning Disabilities (NCLD) is a fast-paced, forward-thinking organization that is growing quickly.
NCLD works to improve the lives of all people with learning difficulties and disabilities by empowering parents, enabling young adults, transforming schools and creating policy and advocacy impact. We envision a society in which every individual who struggles to learn possesses the academic, social and emotional skills needed to succeed in school, at work and in life.
As NCLD’s flagship program and platform for large-scale change in the field, Understood was launched in October 2014. NCLD operates Understood, a Webby-winning online resource for parents of children with learning and attention issues, on behalf of fifteen founding nonprofit partners. Since it launched, Understood has reached over 30 million unique visitors and boasts a Facebook community of over 330,000 people.
Building on the success of Understood and NCLD’s 20+ years of programmatic and policy leadership, NCLD has defined an ambitious vision for a K-12 education program aimed at leveling the playing field for the 15M K-12 students in US public schools with learning and attention issues, such as dyslexia and ADHD. NCLD will develop state-of-the art, digital and blended professional development tools that provide educators with on-demand resources aimed at continuous improvement of their practice. This new program will ensure that education reform efforts aimed at improving outcomes for public school students powerfully address the needs of the 1 in 5 students with learning and attention issues.
We are a small, nimble and collaborative team that works with top consultants, vendors, and organizations across the sector. Our team enjoys excellent benefits, competitive salaries, and offices in a collaborative, open space. You’ll be joining a team that is proud to be building a product that is thoughtful, high touch and high impact.
The Senior Editor, K-12 Education at Understood will oversee the day to day operations of the content creation process for this new program. He/she will manage a team of freelance writers and editors to create the best content possible for educators. Working under the guidance of both NCLD’s VP of Education and Understood’s Director of Content Strategy and Management, he/she will craft a project plan for content creation, assign specific pieces to the appropriate people, and ensure that all content created is in the format and voice of the brand, serving as the “last look” on each and every piece of content before it is published. He/she will also be responsible for reviewing and interpreting data that we receive on these pieces after publication and making longer-term content recommendations based on feedback from research, partners, and the educator community.
- Creating both a short-term and long-term content creation plan, and managing each individual content piece from beginning to completion
- Supervising the work of freelance writers and editors on content creation
- Partnering with the K-12 program team to determine the appropriate voice, tone, reading level and other aspects of the education program content guidelines
- Acting as a key point of contact for the K-12 research team, including coordination of test content for focus groups, classroom observation and other research directly with educators
- Serving as the “last look” on all pieces of content before they are published
- Articulating and ensuring that all content meets brand and voice guidelines
- Reviewing analytics (and other forms of feedback from educators) and making recommendations about brand evolution based on the data.
- Working closely with various other teams, including the Understood (for Parents) editorial team, the marketing team and NCLD’s policy arm.
The Person: Required Experience and Qualifications, and Ideal Attributes
- 10 years’ experience in website content/editorial, with at least 5 in the education space
- Strong journalistic/critical thinking skills
- Knowledge of educator needs and interests, including general education teachers, special education teachers, paraprofessionals, school psychologists, instructional coaches and others with a connection to learning and attention issues
- Ability to take on the voice of the brand
- Ability to take complex academic concepts and simplify them into easy-to-digest materials
- Experience creating content in various formats, including video, infographics, etc…
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple planned and unplanned projects; flexibility and resourcefulness
- Familiarity with SEO, content management systems, and analytics
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, with individuals and cross-disciplinary teams, both internal and external to NCLD
- Positive attitude and commitment to teamwork are key
- Completion of Bachelor level program
- Knowledge of or experience in special education and/or learning disabilities field required
- Knowledge of or experience in educator professional development, online and blended learning models a plus, but not required
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject title “Job Application: First Name Last Name, Senior Editor, K-12 Education, Understood”