June 11th, 2020
Chief Operating Officer
Reports to: President & CEO
Status: Full Time
The Mission and Vision:
The National Center for Learning Disabilities (NCLD) improves the lives of one in five of us who struggle with brain-based learning and attention issues related to reading, math, writing, focus, organization and more. As the leading programming, research and advocacy organization for learning and attention issues, NCLD empowers parents and young adults, transforms schools and creates policy and advocacy impact. We envision a society in which every individual who struggles to learn possesses the academic, social and emotional skills needed to succeed in school, at work and in life.
The responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
Drives internal excellence
● Ensures quality program execution
○ Oversees, coaches and develops Program Directors
○ Drives learning and connectivity across Program areas
○ Leads implementation of measurement and evaluation for each project and Program
● Oversees, coaches and develops General Operations team (Business Administrator and outside consultants)
○ Develops internal processes to streamline operations
○ Upgrades and implements an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures
Vision and Strategy
● Co-develops with CEO annual goals and vision
○ Connects annual goals and vision to day to day activities
■ Works with Program Directors to align day to day work with vision and mission
■ Translates high-level strategy into programmatic priorities and actions
● Co-develops with CEO an annual staffing model and plan
● Lead hiring/onboarding process for new employees
● Develop and oversee individual and team professional learning program
● Plan, coordinate and execute, annual budget process.
● Work with finance team (outside accountants) and Program Directors to monitor, and report on specific project budgets
● Support fundraising through prospect identification, input to grant writing, grant metric setting, grant reporting
Required Qualifications & Skill Sets
- Advanced Degree preferred. MPA, Administrative, Business or Accounting degree, a master’s in business administration is preferred
- Minimum 8 years experience in a senior management role
- Experience either as an employee or board member of a nonprofit organization; familiar with nonprofit finance and accounting regulations
- Proven track record of success facilitating progressive organizational change and development within a growing organization
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Strong mentoring, coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of expertise
- Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Self reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance and administration initiatives.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management,NCLD’s board of directors, and team
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Passion for NCLD’s mission
- Sense of humor
Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience.
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject title “Job Application: [First Name Last Name], Chief Operating Officer.”
The National Center for Learning Disabilities is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
For additional information on the organization, please visit our website at www.ncld.org.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
Tell Congress: Pass the RISE Act
We need your help! Ask your member of Congress to support students with learning and attention issues.
Thanks to support from generous partners like you, we are able to create programs and resources to support the 1 in 5 individuals with learning and attention issues nationwide.