Exciting news! Beginning in 2020, NCLD is proud to announce the Allegra Ford Thomas Scholarship will be doubled from $2,500 to $5,000 over two years.
The Allegra Ford Thomas Scholarship is a $5,000 scholarship awarded over two years ($2,500 each year) to a graduating high school senior with a documented learning disability (LD) and/or ADHD who will enroll in a two-year community college, a vocational or technical training program, or a specialized program for students with LD and/or ADHD in the fall.
Applications for the 2020 Allegra Ford Thomas Scholarship close January 31, 2020.
Interviews with semifinalists will be conducted in late March 2020. Winners will be notified in early spring 2020.
The ideal Allegra Ford Thomas Scholar is a student who:
- Articulates his or her challenges and recognizes the need for self-advocacy
- Is committed to post-high school academic study/career training and has begun to set realistic career goals
- Has demonstrated perseverance and is committed to achieving personal goals
- Participates in school and community activities
- Demonstrates financial need
To be eligible for the Allegra Ford Thomas Scholarship, an applicant must:
- Be a graduating high school senior who will be attending a two-year community college, a vocational/technical training program, or specialized program for students with LD and/or ADHD in the fall.
- Submit current financial information
- Provide most current documentation of an identified learning disability and/or ADHD (e.g., psycho-educational report, neuropsychological evaluation, IEP or 504 plan) and has utilized services, supports and/or accommodations.
- Please note: LD and ADHD can co-occur with other issues such as speech/language, hearing and vision, and autism spectrum disorders; to be eligible candidates must provide documentation of a specific LD and/or ADHD.
- Be a United States citizen
For more information about this scholarship, please visit FAQ.
2019 Allegra Ford Thomas Scholarship Winner – Caitlyn Meyers
Caitlyn Meyers is the 2019 Allegra Ford Thomas Scholarship Winner. Read more about Caitlyn here or by clicking on the link below.
Allegra Ford Thomas Scholarship Winners:
Tell Congress: Pass the RISE Act
We need your help! Ask your member of Congress to support students with learning and attention issues.
Thanks to support from generous partners like you, we are able to create programs and resources to support the 1 in 5 individuals with learning and attention issues nationwide.